Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 10 and sitting in an easychair.

But first, I'm going to talk about day 9.

My first nap was a pretty good nap, but the second nap was a bit of a chore to wake up to. I went to town and back and took my 3rd nap. I woke up from that nap feeling as if I'd woken up from a "normal" night's sleep earlier than I should have. About an hour later, I was walking to a different room for something (I think to get socks) and I just kind of fell asleep while standing up for a bit. I woke up halfway down to the floor. I had enough time to catch myself, but I still made some noise. My mom rushed out and was clearly freaked out (I had just basically collapsed, afterall).

So I agreed that we'd go see a walk-in clinic, where they didn't give me any useful information that I didn't already know. I know, I'm sleep deprived, and I know, you don't suggest it. After a while of him repeating that and me repeating I'm going to try it, we left the clinic to barely make it in time for my 4th nap of the day. That nap wasn't particularly refreshing or disappointing.

A large part of the waking period from Nap 4 to Nap 5 was pretty miserable. Somehow I'd gotten a really depressed and hopeless about the whole thing. I started to feel better when I realized, you know what, I haven't overlept yet; I still have a chance, and a good one. Every nap since then has actually left me pretty refreshed, and I've been finding that I can sit in comfortable chairs and even lie down for a bit, without any danger of falling asleep or nodding off (unless I intend to like for my naps).

Now I'm getting pretty close to taking the fisrt nap of Day 10, and I am getting pretty excited over the idea that I could finally be pulling out of the harder part of the adjustment.

4 comments:

Courtney G said...

Whee! I always knew you could get this far but a quiet part of me still doubted it and you keep proving that part of me wrong!

I think you might be slacking a bit too much on sticking to principles though. We'll talk sometime about that.

Farblade said...

You can do it man. I got faith in 'ya that you will get through this with flying colors. Just takes a bit of focus and determination. Keep at it!

Unknown said...

I am glad to hear you are sticking at it. It gives me hope. I am only on day four. And i can admit, life is very hard. I get pretty depressed too when i oversleep during my day naps and miss the whole day. I work graveyard shift, so im forced to be up all night. My biggest challenge is staying up during the day to enjoy my daughter and get errands done. So far, you're doing a great job!

Syriven said...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Jasmine: I've tried adjusting to uberman two times before. This might not apply to you, but I find that after a certain number of oversleeps it's best to just give up and sleep normally for one or two months before trying again. Either way, good luck!